How To Make Homemade Coconut Oil In Nigeria (2024)
With far too many health benefits and numerous uses of coconut oil, you should consider making your own. Coconut oil has been shown to be beneficial to both health and appearance. This oil has antioxidants, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and antifungal effects. When used in moderation, coconut oil is one of the greatest oils for weight watchers, and it can also make a simple meal taste delicious.
Coconut oil has become an essential component of the beauty and cosmetics industries. This can be attributable to the fantastic product’s multiple uses. The majority of supermarkets are stocked with various types of coconut oil, but because it was created for commercial purposes, it is difficult to ascertain which of these oils is pure and unadulterated. Many of us would rather use commercially manufactured oils that are loaded with emulsifiers, chemicals, and hydrogenated fats.
You will need the following equipment/ingredients to manufacture your own DIY coconut oil:
- Coconuts. The number of coconuts you use will determine the amount of coconut oil you will turnout
- Cutting board for the coconut flesh/meat
- A blender to blend the coconuts. A blender with a power range of 500W to 850W can blend coconut very well with excellent results. You may also grind it in the market, but make sure they thoroughly clean their machine before blending the coconut for you.
- A hammer or small axe works well for breaking the coconut.
- The original stainless steel pot that would be used to simmer the coconut until the oil seeped out. Use nonstick or coated pots for this because the coconut oil will reach high temperatures when cooking.
- A comfortable temperature of hot water. Maintain a temperature that you can easily handle with your bare hands. When you extract coconut milk with moderately hot water, you get more coconut oil than if you extract it with warm or lukewarm water. You should not even use cool water.
A STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE TO MAKING YOUR HOMEMADE COCONUT OIL
Follow the steps to make your homemade coconut oil:
- Using a heavy, blunt tool, break the coconuts.
- When finished, use a knife to hollow the coconut from the coconut shell. When the coconut is mature, the meat should readily come out of the shell.
- To assist your blender, properly rinse the coconut pieces and cut them into little pieces.
- We need to combine the coconuts with warm water for the finest results. To get warm water, boil some water and mix it with some cool water.
- Blend the coconut chunks with the diluted hot water until smooth. Depending on the size of your batch, you may need to grind in batches.
- Pour the coconut milk through a sieve to remove it from the chaff. Then squeeze out the final drop using your hands.
- To extract additional coconut milk, grind the chaff a second time.
- To remove the smallest particles from the coconut milk, use a sieve with a finer screen.
- Cover the bowl of coconut milk and place it in the refrigerator overnight.
- The coconut oil will have separated from the water and caked attractively on top like a frozen lake the next morning.
- Put the caked white coconut oil into a clean, dry stainless steel pot. The residual water in the dish has a coconut flavor and can be used to cook White Rice, make Jollof Coconut Rice, White Coconut Rice, or any other recipe that calls for coconut milk.
- Cook over low to medium heat with the lid on. Reduce the heat to very low if you notice any smoke during cooking.
- Keep an eye on the pot and stir occasionally. Cook until you see burnt coconut chunks in the oil.
- Set the pot aside to allow the coconut oil to cool to a safe temperature.
- To remove the burnt parts, sieve through a chiffon or cheese cloth. If there are any burnt particles left in the sieved coconut oil, sieve it again with a paper towel. Keep in your cupboard and use as needed.
- That’s all! Use coconut oil in your cooking, as well as on your hair and body.
WHAT IS VIRGIN COCONUT OIL?
Pure coconut oil is another name for virgin coconut oil. The word “virgin” coconut oil merely denotes that no heat was used during the extraction process or that it was treated to very low heat. Virgin/pure coconut oil has a strong flavor and scent, as well as a higher concentration of antioxidants, protein, vitamins, and beneficial fatty acids.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PURE HOMEMADE COCONUT OIL AND FACTORY-MADE COCONUT OIL?
The way homemade coconut is removed makes it unique. It has a powerful flavor and scent, as well as a high concentration of antioxidants, protein, vitamins, and healthy fats. While factory-made products are frequently packed with emulsifiers, chemicals, and hydrogenated fats.
HOW LONG DOES COCONUT OIL LAST?
Homemade coconut oil can last a year or 7-10 months depending on how it is stored. It is critical to store the coconut oil extract in an airtight container and not leave it out in the open, since it might become polluted and lose its beneficial properties.
WHAT ARE THE HEALTH BENEFITS OF COCONUT OIL?
Coconut oil has numerous health benefits. This oil can be used for much more than just cooking. Coconut oil is extremely therapeutic and has a variety of healing effects.