A driver’s license is a government-issued document that authorizes the holder to operate a motor vehicle on public roads. In Nigeria, a driver’s license is one of the vehicle documents required to drive on Nigerian roads with any type of motor vehicle, including cars, motorcycles, and trucks.
Obtaining a driver’s license in Nigeria is a relatively straightforward process, but it can be expensive. The cost of a driver’s license varies depending on the type of license you apply for, the driving school you attend, and the location where you apply.
In this blog post, we will discuss the cost of driver’s license in Nigeria (2023), the factors that can affect the cost, and tips for reducing the cost.
WHY IS IT IMPORTANT TO HAVE A DRIVER’S LICENSE IN NIGERIA?
There are several reasons why it is important to have a driver’s license in Nigeria:
- It is required by law to drive any type of motor vehicle on public roads.
- It is a form of identification that can be used to open a bank account, get a job, or apply for a passport.
- It is a proof of your driving skills and knowledge of the traffic laws.
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF DRIVER’S LICENSES IN NIGERIA?
There are three different types of driver’s licenses in Nigeria:
- Class A: This license is required to drive motorcycles and tricycles.
- Class B: This license is required to drive cars, jeeps, and vans.
- Class C: This license is required to drive heavy-duty vehicles, such as trucks and buses.
WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS FOR OBTAINING A DRIVER’S LICENSE IN NIGERIA?
To obtain a driver’s license in Nigeria, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be at least 18 years old: You must be at least 18 years old to apply for a driver’s license in Nigeria.
- Have a valid National Identity Number (NIN): You must have a valid NIN to apply for a driver’s license. You can get a NIN at any National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) enrollment center.
- Pass a driving test: You must pass a driving test administered by the Vehicle Inspection Officer (VIO) to obtain a driver’s license. The driving test consists of a written exam and a practical driving test.
- Pay the required fees: You must pay the required fees to the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) to obtain a driver’s license. The fees vary depending on the type of license you apply for.
In addition to the above requirements, you may also need to provide the following documents when applying for a driver’s license:
- Passport photographs: You will need to provide two passport photographs of yourself.
- Medical certificate: You will need to provide a medical certificate from a registered medical doctor. The medical certificate must attest to your physical and mental fitness to drive.
- Evidence of payment: You will need to provide evidence of payment of the required fees.
Once you have met all of the requirements and submitted all of the required documents, you will be issued a driver’s license. Your driver’s license is valid for three or five years. After the duration of years, you will need to renew your license.
COST OF DRIVER’S LICENSE IN NIGERIA (2023)
The cost of obtaining a driver’s license in Nigeria according to the official website as issued by the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) will be shown below.
The following is the official FRSC fees for obtaining a new driver’s license as a fresh applicant this 2023:
|3 YEARS||5 YEARS|
In reality, the real amount people pay per our check ranges from ₦30,000 to ₦40,000 for a new drivers license in Lagos, Abuja, Asaba, Port Harcourt and other major Nigerian states. This might be due to the Nigerian corrupt system.
FACTORS THAT CAN AFFECT THE COST OF A DRIVER’S LICENSE IN NIGERIA
The following factors can affect the cost of obtaining a driver’s license in Nigeria:
- Type of driver’s license: The cost of a driver’s license varies depending on the type of license you apply for. Class A licenses are the cheapest, while Class C licenses are the most expensive.
- Location of driving school: Driving schools in major cities tend to be more expensive than driving schools in smaller towns. Driving school fees are not uniform across Nigeria. You may find that schools in urban areas charge more than those in rural locations. Consider the proximity and reputation of the school when making your choice.
- Duration of driving lessons: The longer you take driving lessons, the more you will pay.
- Additional services offered by the driving school: Some driving schools offer additional services, such as transportation to and from the driving school and extra driving lessons. These additional services can increase the cost of your driver’s license.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO RENEW AN EXPIRED DRIVERS LICENSE?
Renewal of driver’s license in Nigeria isn’t that difficult as it only involves paying the same sum as you do when you want to apply as a fresh applicant. The only difference here is that your details are already saved on the FRSC’s database.
The cost of renewing an expired drivers license in Nigeria is about ₦15,000 to ₦25,000 this 2023.
HOW TO OBTAIN THE DRIVERS LICENCE
Here are the steps to get your valid license in Nigeria:
- Step 1: Visit an accredited driving school and complete the mandatory drivers training.
- Step 2: Obtain a driving school certificate number from the accredited driving school to be used to initiate a fresh application.
- Step 3: Access the nigeriadriverslicence.frsc.gov.ng, click on DL Application tab and select New Driver’s Licence Application.
- Step 4: Provide your Certificate Number (Which is the number on the certificate provided from the driving school attended) and click on submit.
- Step 5: Fill in your application details and submit and make payment.
HOW & WHERE TO PAY FOR THE DRIVERS LICENSE IN NIGERIA
To make payment for the new licence as a fresh applicant, you can either pay online on the application’s portal at nigeriadriverslicence.frsc.gov.ng or at any Nigerian bank that are designated to accept payments for drivers license.
Also if you want to track the status of your application, ensure you select the Track DL Application Status option as seen on the portal menu. Provide your application ID or DL Number and Date of Birth to access the status of your application.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO GET A DRIVER’S LICENSE IN NIGERIA?
The duration to get your drivers license in Nigeria isn’t specific. You might be lucky to get it in a week or two. At times, it might take up to a month due to server issues or the “Nigerian System”
TIPS FOR PAYING LESS FOR OBTAINING A DRIVERS LICENSE IN NIGERIA
Here are some tips for reducing the cost of obtaining a driver’s license in Nigeria:
- Shop around for driving schools: The cost of driving lessons varies from school to school. Compare the prices of different driving schools before you choose one.
- Take advantage of discounts: Some driving schools offer discounts for students, groups, or early payment. Ask about any discounts that may be available.
- Renew your license on time: The cost of renewing your license is less than the cost of applying for a new license. Make sure to renew your license on time to avoid paying late fees.
If you’ve ever considered getting behind the wheel in Nigeria, you’ll know that having a driver’s license is not just a legal requirement but also a crucial document that validates your ability to drive on Nigerian roads. In this comprehensive guide, we have provided the cost of obtaining a driver’s license in Nigeria this 2023, shedding light on the various fees and factors that can affect the overall expense.