How to renew your USA Visa easily is what this post seeks to explain. Incase you have an expired USA Visa and are looking for ways on how to go about your USA visa renewal in Nigeria, here is a guide with the steps to do that.
Before we delve into the details, you would first need to find out if and when you are eligible for a USA visa renewal or not.
According to the U.S. Embassy and Consulate General website, you may be eligible for a visa renewal appointment if you meet the following criteria:
- You wish to renew a U.S. visa of the same class as a U.S. visa that is currently valid or which expired less than 12 months prior to the date of your interview.
For example, you had an H-1 work visa and wish to apply for another H-1 work visa.
- You are a citizen of Nigeria, hold a Nigerian passport, and were previously issued a full validity visa (ex: 24 months for B1/B2).
- You are a long-term resident of Nigeria with a different nationality who previously received a full-validity U.S. visa (Note: length of validity is dependent on nationality and visa class).
You are not eligible for a visa renewal appointment if you meet any of the following criteria:
- You have never had a U.S. visa.
- You have a U.S. visa that expired more than 12 months ago.
- Your last valid visa was canceled or revoked.
- You wish to apply for a visa in a different visa class than your previous visa.
For example, you had an F-1 student visa, but now you wish to apply for an H-1 work visa.
- You are over 18 years old and applying for an H-4 or L-2 for the first time. (If you have recently married a person holding an H-1B or L-1 visa but have never had a visa interview for an H-4 visa or L-2 visa, you cannot schedule a visa renewal appointment.
- You are applying for more than one visa at the same time.
For example, you are applying for both F and B1/B2 visas.
- You are applying for a P-3 visa (entertainment/performance visa).
- You are applying for an H-2B visa (unskilled worker visa).
- You lost your previous passport that had a valid or expired U.S. visa.
Table of Contents
Important Documents Needed for USA Visa Renewal
The following documents are needed to apply for renewal of USA Visa;
- A Recent Valid Passport. Incase you have an expired passport that contains your expired visa, you are going to provide it at the Embassy/Consulate General on the day of your appointment.
- Visa renewal application form that has been correctly filled as applicable, that is >>Form I-797 (H and L work visas), Form I-20 (F and M student visas), Form DS-2019 (J exchange visitor visa)
Procedure for USA Visa Renewal In Nigeria
With the newly introduced Dropbox USA Visa renewal service, you can now easily renew your American Visa without having to attend an interview. However, the service is available to only BI/B2 Visa holders, F, H and L visa holders.
To apply for U.S Visa Renewal,
- Go to a GTB bank near you and pay the necessary Machine Readable Visa fees for the type of Visa you want to renew.
- Visit the official USA embassy website and fill the DS-160 Visa application form
- Download and print the application confirmation page.(Make sure you keep your receipt alongside the confirmation page print-out).
- Visit the CGI visa appointment website for the US mission to Nigeria and click on the ‘Apply Now’ button at the top right side of the screen.
- Answer all the questions correctly and if you are lucky to qualify, you should be able to print out an application confirmation sheet which would provide you with details of when to submit your application to the DHL outlets either in Lagos or Abuja as the case maybe.
- Select your preferred pick-up location for your passport in case you qualify and your visa would be returned to your preferred location within 7 to 10 business days.
That’s the procedures to apply for U.S.A visa renewal in Nigeria easily.