Headache is a very common disorder of the nervous system that affects about 50% of the world’s adult population yearly. It is caused by many things such as lack of water in the body, excessive drinking or smoking, physiological changes in the head, stress, genetic causes, abnormal neuron activities, noise among others numerous causes. Simple put, headache is our body’s response to physical or emotional stress.
With this, we can say headache is an indicator that our body lacks something. This could be water, rest, nutrient or something else and you should provide that as soon as possible.
Often times, people make use of over-the-counter prescription to combat this but what if I tell you there are many healthy ways of preventing and treating it instead of using painkillers that may end up with side effects. Besides, using painkillers is just a way of neglecting the root cause instead of facing it. For example, dehydration is one of the leading cause of headache. In this case, taking enough water would help prevent it and relief it pain when it occurs.
Below are some of the sure top 10 home remedies for headache that works.
Sounds counter intuitive right? But yes… Ginger is a very effective home remedy for that headache or migraine you’re experiencing. Headache is caused sometimes due to the inflammation of the blood vessels in the head. What ginger does is to reduce this inflammation thereby relieving you off the pain. To use ginger for treating headache, do any of the following.
- Mix equal amount of both ginger and lemon juice and take it ones or twice a day.
- Alternatively, you can boil raw ginger or ginger powder in water and inhale it vapour.
- Or, chew 1 or 2 pieces of crystallised ginger candy.
- Also, you can make a paste of ginger by mixing 2 teaspoon ginger powder and 2 teaspoon water and then applying it on your forehead for few minutes.
2. Mint juice
The primary component of mint is menthol and menthone. These two are very effective in relieving headache.
- To use this to cure headache, extract the juice from a handful of mint juice and apply it on your forehead and temples.
- Alternatively, mint tea compresses can be used. You can also use corainder juice alongside the mint juice to alleviate the headache.
- Drink enough water
For some people, the cause of their own headache may be due to lack of water in their body. In this case of dehydration, rehydration is all they need to get back to their toes. You might think dehydration is not the cause of your headache but that assertion may be wrong. Why?
On average, many people don’t take the required amount of water. Besides that, some of the things we take like alcohol, coffee, sugar dehydrate us and may be the cause of that pounding pain we feel in the head.
If you feel dehydration is likely the cause of your headache, drink a tall glass of water and then keep sipping water throughout the day or eating nutritional fruits and veggies that contain a lot of water and that will alleviate the headache. I know it sounds too simple but it actually work. Most times, remedies to our problems are simple things yet, we fail to look toward that direction.
3. Peppermint oil
This contains menthol that helps open up clogged blood vessels that cause headaches. Peppermint oil also have calming and soothing effects. You can use either of the below methods to alleviate headache using this.
- Mix 3 drops of peppermint oil with a teaspoon of olive oil or just water and massage your forehead with it.
- Also, you can crush peppermint leave and apply it directly on your forehead.
- Alternatively, you can use the steaming method by adding some drops of peppermint oil into a pot of boiling water and then inhaling it for few minutes.
4. Ice pack
Inflammation is one of the contributors of headache. Interestingly, ice helps in reducing inflammation which then helps in providing relief against headache.
- Applying an ice pack to the back of your neck can provide relief against migraine headache.
- Also, you can place a washcloth dipped in ice-cold water over your head for 5 minutes. This should be repeated severally for maximum result.
- Alternatively, a frozen bag of vegetable can be used.
This herb works as a muscle relaxant. This makes it an effective remedy for mild headache caused by tensed muscles.
- In a boiling cup of water, put 4 or 5 fresh leaves of basil and allow to simmer for few minutes before sipping the tea. You can also add honey to it.
- You can also use the steaming method by adding few drops of basil oil or some of it leaves in a boiling pot of water and lean toward it for the steam.
6. Stretch your body, relax and breath
Our lifestyle itself is one of the leading cause of headache. We live a life full of stress more than the body can take and what do we get back? An indicator of stress…. Headache.
Yoga is also one of those exercise that would help get your mind focused and inhibit tension building in the muscles. This would help do away with tension-headache. This necessary don’t have to be done when headache is already Knocking, it is best to step aside few minutes everyday and relief your muscles of those built-up stress.
You can also avoid headache by relaxing after any work. This last set of tips is best in preventing headache.