The latest news on minimum wage in Nigeria shows that the various arms of government of the country are not ready to discuss not to talk of increase the minimum wage to a reasonable amount owing to how expensive things in Nigeria has increased and even the economy.
We did a little research on how much some countries collect as their minimum salaries and found out that Nigeria is at the losing end when compared to what other countries collect. What even shocked us was even the salary of a lawmaker in Luxembourg and that of a Nigerian senator salary. The difference is just too glaring.
BELOW IS A LIST OF MINIMUM WAGES BY COUNTRIES OF THE WORLD
1. Nigeria – $38 (N18,000).
2. Algeria – $175 (N83,000).
3. Belgium – $1,738 (N810,000).
4. Cameroun – 36, 270CFA ($75) N38,000.
5. Chad – $120 (N60,000).
6. Denmark – $1,820 (N900,000).
7. Libya – $430 (N190,000).
8. Japan – $1000 (N450,000).
9. Cote D’ivoire -36,607CFA $72.
10. New Zealand -$3,187 (N1.4m).
11. Luxemburg – $2,500 (N1.1m).
12. Spain – $760. (N300,000).
13. Switzerland – $5,620 – N2.5m.
14. USA – $11 per hour.
Ironically, Nigeria politicians earn the highest salaries the whole world. In Luxemburg where minimum wage is $2,500, their lawmakers are paid $7,400. In Libya where minimum wage is $430, law-makers earn $3000. In Nigeria where minimum wage is $38 (N18,000), law-makers earn $65,000 (N29m). What a shame.
How long will this continue?