The All Progressives Congress (APC) is the current ruling party in Nigeria. As of November 2023, the APC controls 20 of the country’s 36 states. State governors play an important role in Nigerian politics, as they are responsible for implementing policies and programs at the local level.
In this blog post, we will take a look at the list of APC state governors in Nigeria as of 2023. We will also provide a brief profile of each governor, including their political experience, education, and major achievements. Finally, we will analyze the APC’s performance in the 2023 gubernatorial elections.
HOW MANY APC GOVERNORS DO WE HAVE IN NIGERIA?
Currently, out of the 36 state governors in the country there are officially 20 elected APC state governors in Nigeria, 1 Labour party, 1 APGA governor and 13 PDP state governors at the moment in the just concluded 2023 elections.
WHY IS IT IMPORTANT TO KNOW WHO THE APC STATE GOVERNORS ARE?
The APC state governors are important figures in Nigerian politics for a number of reasons. First, they control a significant portion of the country’s resources. Second, they are responsible for implementing policies and programs that have a direct impact on the lives of millions of Nigerians. Third, the APC state governors play an important role in the party’s national politics.
By understanding the background and experience of the APC state governors, we can gain a better understanding of the party’s priorities and goals. We can also better understand the challenges and opportunities that the APC faces in governing Nigeria.
In the next section, we will provide a list of APC state governors in Nigeria as of 2023, along with a brief profile of each governor.
FULL LIST OF APC STATE GOVERNORS IN NIGERIA
While we have formerly listed all current 36 state governors in Nigeria and their political parties, below are the names of the 20 APC state governors this 2023.
|Benue State||Hyacinth Alia||APC||2023-2027|
|Borno State||Babagana Zulum||APC||2019-2027|
|Cross River State||Bassey Otu||APC||2023-2027|
|Ebonyi State||Francis Nwifuru||APC||2023-2027|
|Gombe State||Muhammad Inuwa Yahaya||APC||2019-2027|
|Imo State||Hope Uzodinma||APC||2020-2024|
|Jigawa State||Umar Namadi||APC||2023-2027|
|Kaduna State||Uba Sani||APC||2023-2027|
|Katsina State||Dikko Umaru Radda||APC||2023-2027|
|Kebbi State||Nasir Idris||APC||2023-2027|
|Kogi State||Yahaya Bello||APC||2016-2024|
|Kwara State||AbdulRahman AbdulRasaq||APC||2019-2027|
|Lagos State||Babajide Sanwo-Olu||APC||2019-2027|
|Nasarawa State||Abdullahi Sule||APC||2019-2027|
|Niger State||Mohammed Umar Bago||APC||2023-2027|
|Ogun State||Dapo Abiodun||APC||2019-2027|
|Ondo State||Rotimi Akeredolu||APC||2017-2025|
|Sokoto State||Ahmad Aliyu||APC||2023-2027|
|Yobe State||Mai Mala Buni||APC||2019-2027|
BRIEF PROFILES OF APC STATE GOVERNORS
- Babagana Umaru Zulum (Borno State): Zulum is a professional engineer and academic. He was elected governor of Borno State in 2019. Zulum is known for his commitment to rebuilding Borno State after years of conflict with Boko Haram.
- Bassey Otu (Cross River State): Otu was elected governor of Cross River State in 2023. Ayade is known for his focus on industrializing Cross River State.
- Abdullahi Sule (Nasarawa State): Sule is a businessman and philanthropist. He was elected governor of Nasarawa State in 2019. Sule is known for his focus on infrastructure development in Nasarawa State.
- Dapo Abiodun (Ogun State): Abiodun is a businessman and politician. He was elected governor of Ogun State in 2019. Abiodun is known for his focus on education and healthcare development in Ogun State.
- Babajide Sanwo-Olu (Lagos State): Sanwo-Olu is an accountant and administrator. He was elected governor of Lagos State in 2019. Sanwo-Olu is known for his focus on infrastructural development and traffic management in Lagos State.
These are just a few examples of APC state governors in Nigeria. For more information on the individual governors, please visit their official websites or social media pages.
ANALYSIS OF APC PERFORMANCE IN THE 2023 GUBERNATORIAL ELECTIONS
The APC won gubernatorial elections in 20 states in 2023. This is a decrease from the 23 states that the party won in 2019. However, the APC maintained control of some key states, such as Lagos and Katsina states.
The APC’s performance in the 2023 gubernatorial elections was mixed. The party won in some large and populous states, such as Lagos and Sokoto. However, the party also lost in some key states, such as Rivers state and Osun.
The APC’s performance in the 2023 gubernatorial elections can be attributed to a number of factors, including the state of the economy, security concerns, and internal party divisions. The APC will need to address these challenges if it wants to maintain its dominance in Nigerian politics.