How To Track Lost Cell phone
A reader from The Punch, Bayo sent an SMS that he needed to track and recover a smartphone he lost in January. According to him, the phone is a very expensive Huawei Ascend P7 and he is ready to pay for information that could lead to its recovery.
A lot of people are like Bayo; their phones get snatched from their hands while they are making a call or taken out of their pockets. But according to http://www.ehow.com, to assist people in finding a lost device, both Google and Apple have included ways to track a missing phone in their respective operating systems.
The features are in-built but we have researched on procedures to set up, access them and use them to track your lost devices.
Finding a lost iPhone
Apple’s solution is called “Find My iPhone.” This same service is capable of tracking any and all of your iOS devices(as well as any Mac associated with your Apple ID). To enable it on your iPhone, follow the steps below:
- Launch the settings app on your iPhone
- Scroll down and tap on “iCloud”
- Near the bottom of the list, find and select “Find My iPhone.”
- Slide the switch next
- Slide the switch next to find my iPhone to the on position
- While you are there, you can equally turn on send last location
With “Find My iPhone” enabled, you can track a lost or stolen device through the “Find My iphone” app on another iOS device or by visiting icloud.com and signing into your icloud account. When tracking a device from either the app or icloud website, you can lock it with a new pass-code, track where the device is as well as where it has been and you can fully erase all content of the device.
Note that your iPhone will need to be turned on and connected to the internet in order for the service go work. So, if a would be thief picks up your device and immediately turns it off, you are out of luck until its turned back on and able to connect to a network.
If send last location is enabled, your iPhone will record its last known location as the battery gets low. This wont help you pinpoint the exact spot of the device if its been moved after the battery dies, but it will provide you with a good starting point to beginning tracking your device
In order to disable find my iPhone on a device, Apple requires the user to approve the change with his or her Apple id password. In order words, should a thief pick up your device, they will be unable to disable find my iphone all together unless they also know your password.
Finding a lost android phone
Google Android Device Manager works more or less the same way as Apple’s “Find my iPhone”. Instead of having the service pre-installed, however, you will need to download the app from Google Play Store and set it up in order to use it.
- Search the play store for “Android Device Manager.”
- Install the app and then sign in with your Google account.
- Be sure to leave the checkbox” Never Ask Me Again” unchecked. If you leave that box checked, anyone with access to your device will have the ability to disable the feature or track your other devices.
You can also use another Android device to track your phone using the app, or visit Google’s Android Device Manager Website. You’ll need to log into the site using the same Google account you used to sign into the app on your phone.
Using the app, you can play a sound on the device, lock it, or completely erase it. As with the iPhone, the device is powered off, you will be unable to track it until its turned back on and connected to a network.
Finding other types of cell phones
The free service on account.microsoft.com/devices can ring, lock, erase, or show your window phone on a map. The first time you use Find My Phone, make sure you’ve already signed in on your phone using your Microsoft account.
- Go to account.microsoft.com/devices. If you’re prompted to sign in, use the same Microsoft account you used to sign in on your phone.
- Choose the phone you want to find, snd then click Find my Phone
- You will see a map with your phone’s location. You can zoom in or out to get a better view.
Blackberry 10 users can also track a lost phone using Blackberry protect. If you have a sort of phone we didn’t describe here, visit the manufacturer’s website or contact them if they have any method of tracking a device.
Culled From The Punch Newspaper