In Nigeria, joining the Nigerian police is a way of shouldering great responsibility because it becomes a primary duty to save life and secure property of Nigerians. Being a police officer is a job that deserves honor and bravery.
The primary job or function of the Nigerian police includes; saving the property of fellow citizens, being on guard on checkpoints and strategic places in the community. They also aid in rescuing Nigerians that are trapped in dangerous situations, thereby reducing the impact of crime in the society.
In the course of this write-up, we would be looking at various ways you can join the Nigerian police as a university graduate. This includes joining the police force via mass recruitment, through the police academy or as a supernumerary officer (SPY police).
How to Join the Nigerian Police Force Through Mass Recruitment
Annually, the Nigerian Police (NP), calls aspiring and able bodied Nigerians to join the police force. This mass recruitment into the Nigerian police is done online.
How To Apply For The Police Force Online
The annual application to join the police force has a start date and a closing date. For 2023, the start date will be dully published on the NP recruitment website. It is important to know that all applications must be made online. In other to apply, follow the guide below:
- Get a functional address and your National Identification Number
- Proceed to the online portal for the application, which in this case is www.policerecruitment.gov.ng
- Fill the online form on the website, then review the information entered in the fields before submission.
- After registration, you would automatically receive an email. Print out the information and copy and save your Registration number for future use. Also not that the number is case sensitive.
- If you are shortlisted by the police force, you would be required to present a hardcopy email message sent to you.
- The names of the successful applicants of the police force for 2023/2021 would be printed on a recognized national newspaper.
- You have to meet all the requirements for joining the police force. After application, you would be invited to go for physical screening at all state commands.
- In your application, desist from using a phone number or email address more than once.
- If you make multiple applications to the police force, you would be disqualified.
- You cannot make correspondences with applicants on behalf of applicants.
General Requirements For Joining the Police Force
As an applicant, it is expedient that you have passion for the police force and meet all the below listed requirements.
- The NPF applicant should be of Nigerian origin as stated by the Nigerian Constitution. He/she should also have a National identification number (NIN)
- The police force applicant should have at least a minimum of five credits in not more than two sittings in WAEC/GCE/NECO/NAPTEB with a credit pass in English and mathematics.
- The NPF applicant must fall under the age bracket of 17-25 years.
- Also, the applicant must not have less than 86 cm expanded chest measurement for men.
- The Female applicant for the Nigerian police force must not be pregnant at the time of the application.
- The Nigerian Police Force applicant must be psychologically, physically and mentally fit. In addition, the applicant should not be less than 1.67m tall for males and 1.64m for females.
- Applicant also should be free of any form of crime conviction, whether minor or major.
- After the online application, the NPF applicant must print out all related documents for the sake of future correspondences.
Furthermore, any individual with any one of the below listed abnormalities or deformities would not be enlisted in the police force.
- Speech impediment
- Malformation of the teeth and jaw that prevents proper mastication of food
- Bent knees that cannot be strengthened when standing at attention
- Knock knees
- Squint or defective eyes
- Hands that are defective
- Any individual with any body part amputation would not be admitted into the Nigerian police Force.
Applying For The Police Force Through The Police Academy
In a scenario where you want to join the police force through the Nigerian police academy, you would have to be admitted into the police force academy for a 5-year course. The Nigerian Police academy is located in Wudil kano state. Moreover, to become a member of the police force, you have to be a graduate of the Nigerian police academy.
Therefore, for a start, you must sit for JAMB UTME examination. You have to visit official website of the police academy and generate a Remita Retrieval Reference. The sum of the amount to pay through the invoice is ₦3,000 (fee might have changed). The applicant can make this payment through any of the commercial banks in Nigeria.
After making payment, proceed to the police academy website and complete the registration. If the registration were a success, you would be prompted to print an acknowledgement form and exam card.
The stage entails taking a selected examination in particular venues. You have to visit the nearest examination center that you can find on the police website.
As an eligible candidate, you have to bring along your exam cards with your acknowledgment form, two passports and your JAMB result slip. If you pass the entrance examination for the police academy, you would receive an invitation for an interview.
Afterwards, successful candidates for the Nigerian police academy would have their names published on the national Newspaper.
The Admission Requirements For Joining The Police Academy
- As an applicant, you have to be within the age bracket of 17-22.
- You also need to meet the minimum height requirements. This is 1.67m for males and 1.62m for females.
- For males, you need an expanded chest size of about 34 inches.
- As an applicant, you should be free from any form of mental and physical deformity.
- Police academy candidates should have a minimum of six credits at the WAEC, NECO, or NAPTEB.
Some Facts About The Nigerian Police Academy
In the Nigerian police academy, there are four faculties that you can choose from; Faculty of science, faculty of humanities, faculty of social and management science, and faculty of law. When you go through the academy, you earn a bachelors degree like every other conventional university in Nigeria.
Important Facts about the Nigerian Police Force
They are the principal law enforcement agency in Nigeria. The Nigerian police force has staff deployment across all the 36 states of the nation, plus the federal capital territory. The inspector general of Nigerian police holds the command and control of the force.
For a breakdown of the administrative structure of the police force, there are over seven(7) departments namely; Logistics, Force criminal investigation Department, Training, Research and Planning, Information and communication Technology, Operations and Training.