The fashion industry in Nigeria is a Million Naira industry. It is no news that people of all classes have dress sense and are interested in latest trends in the fashion world, knowingly or unknowingly. This had led a lot of people into the industry in a bit to have their own share of the pie.
However, the industry is a large one with different styles and the best one can do for him/herself is to get fashion savvy. This means choosing a good fashion school to learn and become an expert designer in the industry.
The area of fashion that is of interest to us in this article is fashion design.
According to Wikipedia, fashion designing is the art of applying design, aesthetics and natural beauty to clothing and its accessories. It is influenced by cultural and social attitudes, and has varied over time and place. Fashion designers work in a number of ways in designing clothing and accessories such as bracelets and necklaces. Because of the time required to bring a garment onto the market, designers must at times anticipate changes to consumer tastes.
Fashion designers are popularly known as tailors, though professionals believe there’s a subtle difference between the two. If you are interested in becoming a fashion designer and you live in Lagos, you might want to know where fashion schools are located to learn and become a certified fashion designer in the country.
This article is for you as it contains the list of best fashion design schools in Lagos and their addresses.
Full List Of Fashion Design Schools In Lagos & Addresses
Bquisite Fashion Class
- Address: Nureni Yusuf drive, Surulere bus stop Kola, Alagbado Ifako Ijaye, Lagos State
Celebrity’s Fashion Academy
- Address: 8, Remilekun Ayangade Street, Ikorodu, Lagos
Creative Tailoring Class
- Address: 18, Odunlami Street, Anthony Village, Lagos Nigeria
De-Image Creation and Fashion School
- Address: No 16, Adenekan Salako Close, By Diamond Bank, Ogba, Lagos, Nigeria
Elveela Designs and Fashion School
- Address: Plot 5, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu Road by Bogije shopping complex opposite TGS Plaza, Bogije Ibeju-Lekki, Lagos
Fashion and Art Academy
- Address: 6, Sabiu Ajose Street, Off Adeniran Ogunsanya Road, Surulere, Lagos
Ginani Fashion Training
- Address: 11, Bank Olemoh close, Off Bank Olemoh Street, Akerele, Surulere, Lagos
Hadazzh Styles and Stiches
- Address: 19, Lawanson Road Adjacent Total Filling Station, Surulere, Lagos, Nigeria
KG School of Fashion
- Address: 2 Carter street, Adekunle Yaba, Lagos, Nigeria
Legsapparel Fashion School
- Address: Plot 18, Osamudiamen Otabor Crescent, Idado Lekki, Lagos
- Address: Sholeye Crescent, off Ayinde Giwa Street, Surulere, Lagos Nigeria
Mickey Oma Design & Fashion School
- Address: No 22 Abeokuta Street Anifowose, Ikeja, Lagos Nigeria
Nobel Afrik Fashion Training
- Address: Wema Bank Building 2nd Floor, Opposite Mr Biggs, Maryland Ikeja, Lagos Nigeria
Octoxii School of Shoe-making
- Address: 5, AdebisiI Bolanle Street, Alakuko, Lagos State Nigeria
Rhoda Michaels Fashion Academy
- Address: 1st floor Jerobet Plaza, 15, Charity Rd, New Oko-Oba, Abule-egba, Lagos
Simbels Clothiers & Fashion
- Address: 42, Igando Road,7-up Bus-stop, Ikotun, Lagos State, Nigeria
Valisimo Fashion School
- Address: No 2, Akinwale Street, Opp. Nationwide filling Station, Yaya Abatan Road, Ogba Ikeja, Lagos Nigeria
ViGold School of Fashion and Creative Arts Academy
- Address: 51 Ago Palace Way, Opp. Skye Bank, Ago-Okota Isolo, Lagos, Nigeria
Zapron Fashion School
- Address: 11 Osapa London, Lekki, Lagos Nigeria
Zaris Fashion & Style Academy
- Address: Centage Plaza, 2nd Floor, 14 Allen Avenue – beside Lagos Ikeja Hotel, Ikeja, Lagos, Nigeria
Addurrah House of Creations
- Address: 11, Oweh Street, Fadeyi (Near W.A.E.C), Jibowu, Lagos Nigeria
Ato Fashion Academy
- Address: 129, Obadina, Omole Phase 1 Estate Ikeja, Lagos Nigeria
Betti-O School 0f Fashion
- Address: No. 7, Isaac John Street, GRA, Ikeja, Lagos, Nigeria
Cheryl Cold Fashion School
- Address: 43 ,Olawale Cole Street, Alimosho, Lagos
Chinyere Fashion School
- Address: 12, Association Street, Ajegunle, Ajeromi Ifelodun, Lagos, Nigeria
Cut and Stitches Fashion Academy
- Address: No 27 Bode Olajumoke Street,Inside Valuecountry Estate, Lekki Epe Expressway, Sangotedo, Lagos Nigeria
GMYT Skill Acquisition Academy
- Address: 20B, Babatunde Anjous, Off Admiralty way, Lekki Phase 1, Lagos Nigeria
Hats of Best Fit
- Address: 57, Akerele Street, Akerele, Surulere, Lagos
House of Zika
- Address: 30 Moyo Agoro Street, off Kayode Street, Ogba, Lagos Nigeria
Idea Finishers Academy
- Address: No. 5, Mensah Street, Olodi Apapa, Lagos State Nigeria
PhiTop Fashion School
- Address: 279, Axiom Plaza, Old Abeokuta Motor Road, Agege, Lagos Nigeria
Best Fashion Schools Located in Lagos and their Contact Details
Fashion designing in Nigeria has grown from what we used to know as just another side hustle to make ends meet to a serious money making venture. Gone are the days when people looked at you with utter disdain on hearing that you want to be a tailor.
This is because the profession has evolved quite significantly from just owning a shop with a manual sewing machine in it to owning a chain of fashion schools where the next generation of fashion designers are groomed with the latest fashion trends by the best mentors who are available to teach those embracing the trade after them how to express themselves with different fabrics, see fashion designing as an art form and have fun while making serious money in the process. In this post, we take a look at the top fashion schools in Lagos and their contact details.
If you want to be a bonafide fashion designer and distinguish yourself from just about anyone out there in the profession, there is the need to develop your talent in the best fashion schools available as this will help you compete favourably with the best there is. It will also project you and your works to people and places where your works will be appreciated, patronized and promoted because you took the bold step to be better.
In order to get into the best fashion schools in Lagos, you have to have certain qualities and we have listed below some essential qualities that will help you stand out in the school of fashion of your choice in Lagos. Do take your time to familiarize yourself with these qualities. While these are not universal guidelines, we believe that they will give you an idea of what you should do to stand out in your chosen school of fashion.
Essential Qualities to Have As You Target A Fashion School
Some of you reading this are fashion designers already and some of you are prospective fashion designers and as you must have found out, studying fashion designing is not a day’s job and you have to be motivated enough to take on this career path if not, you might get discouraged and might even give up.
You will need to motivate and encourage yourself if you want to succeed in this as a business as well that is why we have written down some tips to help you as you embark on your journey in any top fashion school in Lagos or anywhere in the country. Without further ado, you will need to do the following:
- Be Yourself, Be Original, Be Unique: Being yourself means expressing your thoughts, making them come alive in your designs. Remember, fashion designing is an art form, so you will need to birth your thoughts and express them in your works. This will give your works a certain originality and uniqueness that is peculiar to only you and as you gain confidence, you will improve.
- Never Forget Fashion Designing Is An Art: This cannot be overemphasized. To make it in the fashion world, you need to play with designs and colour combinations. In this very cosmopolitan world of ours with different people and different cultures all living and inter-relating in the same geographic space, you will need to be able to create amazing designs that can be acceptable by your potential customers. Let your designs tell a story and serve a purpose.
- Be Teachable: The main reason why you applied to a fashion school was so that you could acquire knowledge. It will be in your best interest to open up your mind to learn more about fashion even if you have basic knowledge of it. This will help you evolve and be an authority in the fashion world with time. When you are teachable, you show progress.
- Think Outside The Box: You will need to think outside the box in order to go far in fashion designing. Do not limit yourself to the trends only in vogue, stretch your mind to think up new ideas that will benefit you in the long run. Challenge yourself to do new things that you and the world will be proud of.
- Be Enthusiastic: Be enthusiastic and passionate about the things you do. Show zeal to learn and make sure that whatever you are learning should always be practiced so you will have to have the ability to transmit your sketches into reality.
If you wish to develop your skills in fashion designing in Lagos, here is a list of the best fashion schools in the state and their contact details.
1. Fashion and Art Academy
Their courses include:
- Fashion Design and Production
- Coutoure Bridals
- Bespoke Jackets and Suits
- Makeover Artistry
- Milinery and Photography
Tel: +234(0)8023290830, +234(0)8036904382
Fashion & Art Academy
6 Sabiu Ajose Street,
Off Adeniran Ogunsanya Road,
(Behind Skye Bank)
Fashion & Art Academy
10, Oluwole Omole Street,
Off Esomo Close,
Beside Stanbic-IBTC Bank,
Toyin Street, Ikeja,
2. Rhoda Michaels Fashion Academy
Jerobet Plaza, First floor,
15, Charity Rd,
New Oko-Oba, Abule-Egba,
Tel: 08057490835, 08059963848, 08029009669,
Landlines: 08141000080, 08141000040
3. Addurrah Creations
11, Oweh Street,
Tel: 08149397104, 08096329885, 07059976072
4. Celebrity’s Fashion Academy
8 Remilekun Ayangade Street,
Tel: 08037175620, 08152628902
5. Cheryl Cold Fashion School
43 ,Olawale Cole Street,
6. Chinyere Fashion School
12, Association Street,
Ajeromi Ifelodun LGA,
Tel: 08037010047, 07085646041
7. Hadazzh Styles And Stiches Fashion School
19, Lawanson Road,
Tel: 08024456217, 07060432794
8. Hats of Best Fit
57, Akerele Street,
Tel: 08033039490, 08028616263
9. KG School of Fashion
63 Simpson Street,
by Adekunle Bus Stop, Yaba,
10. Mickeyoma Fashion School
22, Abeokuta Street Anifowose,
11. Nobel Afrik Fashion Training
Wema Bank Building, 2nd Floor,
Opposite Mr Biggs, Maryland,
Tel: 08023119874, 09093928612
12. Princessklin Ventures
2, Owokoniro Street,
13. Valisimo Fashion School
13, Yaya Abatan Street,
Lagos. 08096577157, 07083414341
14. Zaris Fashion & Style Academy
Centage Plaza, 2nd Floor,
14, Allen Avenue, beside Lagos Ikeja Hotel,
Tel: 08035794001, 08168699128, 08024927850
Best Fashion Designers In Nigeria: Top 5
The fashion industry in Nigeria today is one competitive sector that allows different talented designers showcase their various designs to the world, especially the international community. To succeed in this profession, you would have to know what is trending in the fashion world, as this will allow you leverage to create unique styles that are in vogue especially if you are thinking on having your own company.
While the likes of popular fashion designers such as Folake Coker, Deola Sagoe, and even the highly revered Ohimai Atafo have become icons in the business both in the country and even the African continent, you too can learn from these veterans in establishing your own fashion company with patience, determination and hard work.
We have carefully drafted a some top fashion companies in the country who we believe have the expertise to inspire those who want to start a career or inquire about their services.
Here are the top 5 best fashion designers in Nigeria.
- House of Deola
House of Deola is an outstanding fashion brand which is popular in the country and its founder, Deola Sagoe is one of Nigeria’s top fashion designers. She worked with her mother’s company, Odua Creations for good 10 years where she learnt the various techniques in the business.
She went solo in 2008 and launched her brand. Today, Deola Sagoe is popularly known for her eye catching couture pieces, producing jeans, polo, menswear and other apparels. The creativity behind Deola’s designs involve the use of hand-woven materials to depict African culture.
Most of her cloths are worn by celebrities both locally and internationally. Personalities like Will Smith and even Oprah Winfrey have worn her cloths. She was present at AltaRoma, Rome’s celebrated fashion week which occurred in 2004 and her brand is still making waves.
- Tiffany Amber
If you are looking for a designer brand that uses the finest fabric to create glamorous pieces then you should patronize Tiffany Amber which was established by Folake Coker.
This fashion company is very popular among the best in the country, enjoying success on the global stage on a yearly basis. Since 1998 when Tiffany Amber collection was displayed to the eyes of the public, the brand has remained prominent among the bigwigs in the fashion world gaining so much positive reviews from clients and patronisers alike.
Folake was the first African based designer from Nigeria to host two shows in the New York fashion week and also the first African Fashion Designer to enter the Forbes Women Power List.
To expand her business, in 2009, Tiffany Amber established two more enterprises namely; Tiffany Amber Nigeria: TAN by Tiffany Amber, a Diffusion line and Folake Folarin, a popular Couture line.
- Ade Bakare
This is another fashion label that blends old classic with modern aura and this company was established in 1991 by Ade Bakare. From selling his unique collections to top clients and famous boutiques in England, he has exposed the culture of Nigeria to foreigners.
Ade gained prominence in the Nigerian fashion Industry after he created a perfume which he named “Breeze”. The unique scent of the perf made him profits and he further expanded by starting a diffusion line “Bakare Breeze” known to offer collection of bridal dresses for those design-conscious brides, ethnic textile attire, kaftans, bubas and iros which are in silk and chiffon.
- Jewel by Lisa
Jewel by Lisa is a company founded by one of the best Nigerian fashion designers in the country, Lisa Folawiyo and they are known for using Ankara fabric to make classy modern African print for their dresses.
Using their different accessories collections, the JBL brand are known to transform African prints into luxurious pieces, a signature aesthetics that differentiates JBL from the rest.
Majority of Lisa Folawiyo garment spots a unique handcrafted touch from start to its construction. Design integrity has always been Folawiyoʼs watch word. This is seen in her expert artisans hand in working out a piece for more than 10 days just to make sure the brand uniqueness isn’t taken for granted.
Most of Lisa Folawiyo collections has being viewed on international platforms and fashion shows. From Lagos to other countries like London, New York, Milan, etc.
- Virgos Lounge
This brand was established in 2008 by three top fashion designers in the country, Fioye Akinsola, Nike Ajanaku and Oyeyemi Wemi-Akinsola.
Specifically targeted at those who likes trendy fashion attire, you are sure to find unique embellishment that gives your fabric an exceptional look.
Customers who patronizes Virgos Lounge have given positive reviews about the vintage fashion brand as they confessed that their designs makes them standout in public whenever they put on their fashion attire.
1 CommentAdd a Comment
Thanks for this information