Catering services are a crucial aspect of any event in Nigeria, whether it is a wedding, birthday party, or corporate event. However, the cost of these services can vary greatly depending on a number of factors. In this blog post, we will discuss the factors that affect the cost of catering services in Nigeria, as well as the average cost for different types of events and tips for saving money on catering.
FACTORS THAT AFFECT THE COST OF CATERING SERVICES IN NIGERIA
There are several factors that influences how much a caterer would charge for his or her services. The same can be said for a catering company. Some of these factors include:
- Location of event: The location of an event is one of the key factors that can greatly affect the amount a catering company will charge for its service. This is because the cost of living, transportation, and other expenses can vary greatly depending on the location. For example, if a wedding event is being held in a major city such as Lagos or Abuja, the cost of catering will likely be higher than if the event is being held in a smaller city or rural area. This is because the cost of living is generally higher in major cities, and caterers may need to charge more to cover their expenses. Additionally, the cost of transportation, such as the cost of getting the food and equipment to the event, may also be higher in major cities. Another aspect of location that can affect cost is the event location itself, for example, an event held in an exclusive venue or a five-star hotel will usually cost more than an event held in a community center or a backyard.
- Number of guests: Another important aspect that might affect the price of catering services in Nigeria is the quantity of attendees at a wedding event. This is so because the price of food and other expenses is typically determined by how many visitors will be present at the event. For instance, the caterer might not need to make as much food or rent as much equipment if there are fewer attendees at the event. As a result, catering expenses should be less expensive. On the other side, the caterer will need to make more food and rent more equipment if there are more attendees at the event. The price of catering will probably increase as a result. The type of cuisine the caterer will offer can also depend on the quantity of guests. A caterer may be able to offer a more elaborate and pricey menu for a small event, but for a large event, the caterer may need to offer a more straightforward and affordable menu to keep costs down. It’s also vital to keep in mind that some caterers occasionally charge per person, which means that the price of catering will rise as more people attend. This is why it’s crucial to accurately count attendees when organising your wedding ceremony and setting a budget.
- Type of food and drinks: Food and drinks still remains the main factor a catering company will check before they charge for their services. This is due to the fact that the price of ingredients and other costs might differ significantly depending on the kind of food and drinks that will be served. For instance, the cost of catering will probably be higher if a caterer offers a menu that includes more pricey and exotic goods like lobster or imported wines than if the caterer offers a menu that includes more affordable and locally sourced foods.
- Additional services: Services such as event planning, decorations, equipment rental, and transportation, also add up in determining the price of a catering company service in an event. For example, if a caterer is providing event (wedding planning) services, such as coordinating with other vendors or managing the setup and breakdown of the event, this can add to the overall cost of catering. Similarly, if a caterer is providing decorations, such as table settings or floral arrangements, this can also increase the cost of catering.
TYPES OF CATERING SERVICE
When planning a wedding event, one of the most important decisions you’ll make is choosing the right type of catering service. There are several options to choose from, and each one comes with its own set of pros and cons. Below are a few of the most popular types of catering services available to help you make your decision:
- Buffet: A buffet-style catering service allows guests to serve themselves from a variety of dishes. This option is great for more casual events, such as weddings or family gatherings. The cost of a buffet will depend on the type of dishes you want to serve, as well as the number of guests. You can choose to have catering staff on hand to set up, restock, and clean up, or you can handle those tasks yourself.
- Corporate Event Catering: Corporate events, such as seminars and workshops, require a more professional and refined catering service. The cost of this type of service will depend on the number of meals per day, the number of days, and the number of guests.
- Food Stations: Food station catering is a great option for informal events, such as birthday parties or graduation parties.
- Formal Dinner: A formal dinner catering service is similar to the type of service you would receive at a high-end restaurant. This option is best suited for more formal events, such as weddings or anniversary parties. The amount you would pay for this service, depends on the number of invited guests, the number of courses, and the kind of utensils and dishes you want to use.
HOW MUCH DO CATERERS CHARGE PER MEAL IN NIGERIA?
There is no set price that event caterers in Nigeria charge, hence the cost of their services vary. The sort of clients the caterer works with, the reputation of the catering company, the location, the type of meals required for the party, the amount of meals, and other variables all affect price. Even then, a type of starting price can be established.
You can anticipate paying an event caterer in Nigeria a minimum of ₦1500 per meal, which will be for food, such as swallow, jollof-rice with chicken or turkey. Also, it might depend on your location, the type of meal you are ordering, and other factors. However, you should be aware that this won’t guarantee the best possible food for your event.
COST OF HIRING AN EVENT CATERER FOR WEDDING (2023)
So, what can one expect to pay for catering services in Nigeria? On average, the cost for a small wedding event (less than 50 guests) can range from ₦150,000 to ₦250,000. For a medium event (50-200 guests), the cost can range from ₦250,000 to ₦500,000. And for a large wedding event (more than 200 guests), the cost can range from ₦500,000 to ₦1,000,000 and above. However, it is important to keep in mind that these are just averages and the cost can vary greatly depending on the factors mentioned above.
While the cost of catering services in Nigeria can be quite high, there are ways to save money. One of the best ways to save money on catering is to comparison shop. Contact multiple caterers and get quotes for similar services. This will give you a better idea of what the going rate is for catering in your area and allow you to negotiate with caterers for a better price. Additionally, choosing a less expensive menu or opting for fewer additional services can also help to lower the cost of catering.