When it comes to finding a new puppy, there is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all solution. The most important thing is that you find the right dog for you. You should seek for a breed that best suites your lifestyle and living conditions whether you really need to adopt or buy a dog in the first place. The right breed for you and your dog can spell the difference in how much fun you and your dog have. As a result, the following post will update you about the best dog breeds in Nigeria and their respective pricing.
WHAT IS DOG BREEDING ALL ABOUT?
The huge percentage of people have no idea what it takes to breed dogs. The practice of purposefully mating dogs of similar or slightly different species in order to produce puppies with similar or slightly different features, is the definition of dog breeding. Dog breeding may, as a result, produce a dog with features similar to or slightly different from natural breeds.
TOP 10 BEST DOG BREEDS IN NIGERIA
The top ten dog breeds to buy in Nigeria are listed below:
One of the best and most popular dog breeds in Nigeria is the German shepherd. It is one of the canines that may be found in many Nigerian homes due to its unusual characteristics. This dog breed is known for being agile, courageous, gregarious, and defensive of its owner.
One amongst Nigeria’s most popular dog breeds is the Caucasian dog breed, often known as the Caucasian Sheep dog. It’s a big dog with a long lifespan.
It is one of the most attractive dog breeds in the world, with a high intelligence level. Do you want to acquire a dog as a pet in Nigeria? Your greatest bet might be the Caucasian race.
Rottweiler Dogs are a breed of dog that originated in Germany. The Rottweiler is one of the most obedient dog breeds available in Nigeria. This dog is smart, beautiful, nimble, and one of Nigeria’s most active dog breeds.
The American Pitbull is another popular dog breed in Nigeria, and many Nigerian families like them. This breed can live for up to 15 years in the ideal conditions and with proper care. Even though it is a medium-sized dog, it has the same fury as the larger dogs stated previously. The dog is agile, lively, and empathetic.
This English mastiff dog breed is a unique and affectionate dog breed that is quite popular in Nigeria. It is a huge dog that can survive up to 12 years and falls to the huge dog family. Any who prefer huge dogs will enjoy this breed.
The British bulldog is a prominent dog breed in Nigeria and around the world. The dog is really not conventionally attractive by any standard. If you’re looking for a more attentive dog for safety reasons, the British bulldog appears intimidating at first appearance.
CHOW CHOW BREED
If there was a term for attractiveness, it would be chow chow. One among Nigeria’s most appealing breeds is the Chow Chow, a Chinese-bred dog. It’s a small breed with a lot of personality.
This dob breed, like many other dogs in Nigeria, originated from South Africa and can stay up to 12 years. Because a fully developed adult can measure up to 90 kilos, it is categorized as a gigantic dog. Above all, this dog breed makes ideal security agents since it is extremely fast, tough, and suspicious of anyone it views as an intruder.
The Samoyed dog breed is a loyal canine family member. Its origins can be traced as far back as Russia and Siberia. This dog breed is intelligent, courageous, friendly, playful, but never timid. The dog is a medium-sized dog who demands a great deal of care.
Tibetan Mastiff is a Tibetan dog breed. This well-known Nigerian dog is of Chinese descent and can live up to 12 years. The dog can be gentle, agile, and smart when not provoked, but it can also be cruel when aroused. When it leaves its zone, though, it remains calm and vigilant until it returns.
PRICES OF DOG BREEDS IN NIGERIA (2023)
Looking to know how much it cost to buy any of the aforementioned best dog breeds? Below is the list of their respective prices in Nigeria this year:
- German Shepherd price in Nigeria costs from ₦65,000 to ₦70,000
- Caucasian Breed price in Nigeria is between ₦55,000 to ₦65,000
- Rottweiler Breed price in Nigeria costs between ₦52,000 to ₦60,000
- American Pitbull price in Nigeria is ₦60,000
- English Mastiff Breed price in Nigeria is about ₦100,000 to ₦120,000
- British Bulldog Breed price in Nigeria costs from ₦70,000 to ₦85,000
- Chow Chow Breed price in Nigeria costs from ₦180,000 to ₦250,000
- Boerboel Breed price in Nigeria costs from ₦250,000 to ₦300,000
- Samoyed Breed price in Nigeria costs from ₦40,000 to ₦45,000
- Tibetan Mastiff price in Nigeria costs between ₦75,000 to ₦85,000
Before placing a purchase on any of these dogs, let’s take a peek at the few things to keep in mind.
FACTORS TO CONSIDER WHEN SELECTING A DOG BREED
Whenever it comes to choosing the appropriate dog breed for you, it’s much more than looking for a cute face. Here are a few things to think about:
- Size: The size of your living space is the most crucial factor to consider when picking a dog breed. Do you live in a large home or a little apartment?
- Breed: Every breed does have its own unique set of traits. And per the American Kennel Club (AKC), there are seven dog breed groups (Working, Herding, Hound, Sporting, Non-Sporting, Toy, and Terrier). Each breed has its unique personality traits, so it’s important to figure out which one would work best with yours.
- Age: Puppyhood, adolescence, adulthood, and seniorhood are all stages in which a dog’s personality changes. Adult dogs are much more prone to be housetrained and have a calmer disposition than puppies.
- History: If you buy a dog from a breeder, you will know everything about the dog’s history. If you’re adopting from a shelter, the background can be a little foggy.
That’s the size of this article on the top ten best dog breeds in Nigeria and their respective prices.