The white star apple or African cherry is a dark yellowish fruit with semi-circle seeds, a popular seasonal fruit normally consumed with its flesh. Botanically called “chrysophyllum albidum,” the fruit is mostly cultivated in the rural areas and is very common during the months of December to April.
The fruit is mostly found in African countries like Nigeria, Cameroon, Cote d’ Ivorie, Uganda and Niger Republic. However in Nigeria the white star apple is popularly referred to as Agbalumo and Udara by the Yoruba’s and Igbo respectively.
This wonderful fruit is picked by Africans on their way to the farm, during the era of our forefathers. But nowadays you get it from the marketplace as it has become a source of income to the people mostly living in the rural areas. During white star apple season you will see both adult and children savoring the great taste of this indigenous fruit.
But have you ever cared to know about the health benefits of the white star apple. Just in case you don’t know, the African cherry is highly nutritional and can help a lot in many ways
Health Benefits of White Star Apple
1. The bark of the tree according to research was used traditionally to treat yellow fever and malaria, while the leaf treated wounds, stomachache, and diarrhea
2. Agbalumo/Udara is a natural remedies for toothache, constipation, sore throat, and much more. Also in some parts of Nigeria the seeds are used to treat vaginal and skin infections
3. White star apple had been suggested to contain more vitamin C than orange and guava, the fruit is also rich in calcium, iron potassium, phosphorous, magnesium, tannins, flavonoids, terpenoids, and phyto-chemicals.
4. When the udara/agbalumo is consumed for its flesh, it can help lower blood sugar and cholesterol, prevent and treat heart diseases.
5. The fruit is known to have anti-oxidant properties that help fight cancer and treatment of diabetes.
There are other health benefits of white star apple not written here but now you know, do not miss an opportunity to make good use of its season to purchase the fruit and enjoy its many heath benefits.