Cucumber is a highly nutritious vegetable that is grown highly in Africa, especially in Nigeria. It is also one of the most consumed fruits in the world. What if I tell you that this fruit, which is rich in fiber and vitamins, aids in weight loss and reduces the risk of cancer which is some of its many health benefits? You might have bought this vegetable but might not be aware of its economic importance.
Below are 8 benefits you are sure to get eating the highly nutritious cucumber
Health Benefits of Eating Cucumber
1. Repels Mouth odour : cucumber contains phytochemcials which kills bacteria, responsible for mouth odour. When you chew cucumber, the liquid it emits penetrates the gum and cavities of the tooth which helps to repel bad breath.
2. Keeps the Body Hydrated & Aids in Weight Loss: Just like other fruits, cucumber contains high water content, so it keeps the body hydrated and eliminates toxins from the body. Cucumbers are also low in calories and the high water content in cucumber, makes it ideal for those who are looking for vegetables to help them lose weight.
3. Improve and Aid Digestion: This natural vegetable aids and improve digestion; it contains high water content and dietary fiber, which is useful for the body in getting rid of harmful and toxic substance from the digestive system, also daily consumption of cucumber cures chronic constipation.
4. Reduces Cancer Risk: Cucumbers contains anti-cancerous compounds such as lariciresinol, pinoresinol, which helps the body fight against several kinds of cancer. Women are advised to take this fruit and make this part of their diet since they are prone to breast cancer.
5. Makes your Skin Fresh, Smooth and Younger: if you have noticed the skin of most vegetarians and models, you would see how smooth their skins look. Cucumber extracts have become one of the most used ingredients used in producing beauty creams. Eating cucumber also helps to fight against skin inflammation, eczema and helps keep the eye sharp. So, if you need that good looking skin, then make this fruit your companion.
6. Rich in Vitamins: Cucumber is a very rich source of vitamin; most of the vitamins present in it are highly needed by the body daily, everyday intake of these vegetables together with its peels, helps to replenish the vitamins needed by the body and it also boost the immune system.
7. Break Kidney Stones: consuming cucumber daily helps to reduce the risk of having kidney problems. With the help of its anti-toxins, it helps in keeping the kidney up and going, removing kidney stones and reduces acid found in the body.
8. Stabilizes cholesterol level, cures diabetes and regulates blood pressure – If you are diabetic, then you should add this vegetable to your diet. Drinking cucumber juice helps cure diabetes because it contains a natural hormone that helps activate the pancreas that produces insulin. It also has a compound called sterols, which according to research, help reduce cholesterol levels. The presence of magnesium and potassium also helps regulate blood pressure.